Tuesday, June 1, 2010

May 2010 power generation and some solar data

5.9mwhs total so far. Max generated was 7750 although I'm really wondering about that, because I've never seen that large of a number on the monitor and I've seen it at noon on some pretty clear days. Who knows though. I only generated 1170kwh last month. That seems much too low. I wish I had the money to put a good monitor on the system.

So some things about solar panels that weren't clear to me initially:
When the grid power is out, the power to your house is out regardless of what the solar panels could be generating. The stated reason for this is for the safety of work crews as the house could be putting power into a grid that is believed to be dead and a worker could accidentally electrocute themselves. This is blatantly bullshit since no assumption of that sort should ever be made by professionals. In addition, it would be a trivial tech solution to make it so that power didn't leave the house if power wasn't coming form the grid. It is, in fact, one of the simplest electronic gates made.

Another is that I'm not allowed to have any sort of storage device because then I wouldn't be generating enough electricity for the grid to make up for what they paid for my installation. Really the reason is that they want to be able to charge me for some power when it's dark. See they charge more than they pay. Maybe someday I'll be able to buy my way out of the contract and install a nice big whole house UPS. It'd be great to get one of the new power cell UPS systems that uses the new catalyst to make it more efficient to store power in water.

No comments: