Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Some progress!

Ok, I was on a great relaxing vacation for 10 days. One of the funny things about that was that 2.5 months after ordering my hot tub and getting to work on preparing to install it, the last step that had to be done before hot tub installation was being finished while I was driving the first leg of my vacation. 2.5 months. I got an engineer to evaluate the structure of the shed, then design a plan to reinforce it. I got a construction company to build the structural reinforcement, then fix it when it didn't pass inspection. I got the permit (City of Edgewater was very cooperative and helpful). Got the flooring and the tiling and the plastic sheeting to cover the walls. That was the part being finished the day I took off for vacation, coincidentally the same day the hot tub arrived at the store. Happily they held the hot tub for me and it looks like it'll be installed Thursday or Friday. I'm working with the tiling guy tonight to clear up some details and the excellent electrician I work with will likely be able to make it over when they deliver the hot tub to hook it up. So it's reasonably likely I'll have a functional hot tub installed in my shed by this weekend. YAY! 10 years I've been wanting a hot tub. 2.5 months I've been waiting since I paid for it. Then of course I'll have a bunch of details to work through with getting everything in the shed working the way I want, but those won't be a problem and I'll be doing them myself.

I'm also having the tiling guy (who is the handyman I work with) give me a quote on putting in my fence so I know how much money I'm looking at paying. It's going to be expensive.

In solar news....REC solar is pissing me off. My install was scheduled for this week. They had to change the project plan because they told me incorrectly how many panels they could install on my house. That was 3 weeks ago. They still don't have a new project plan for me and I have to ask a couple of times each time to get any sort of response, which still hasn't included either a new project plan nor a new price. And now they're saying late October for the installation. Man this is getting annoying as fuck. Sure, I unintentionally played the "Hey! I want solar installed as soon as possible! [pause] *PSYCH!*" game on them twice, but that wasn't my fault. I've paid my deposit, I agreed to the original project plan, they should be getting their fucking shit in gear and getting it installed. I'm really quite pissed that I had not one but two full engineering work ups of my roof to make sure the system I wanted would fit and then when it comes down to it they couldn't actually make it work even when I paid the extra money for the smaller more efficient panels. My experience with this company so far is not making me happy. I guess that's what happens when you have to go with the least expensive install.

No comments: