Friday, May 13, 2016

New company, new job, so good it's like being in an urban legend.

Change changing places. Out with the old job, in with the new.

End of November 2015 I was let go from my DevOps job.

Over the next couple of months I realized that the job had been stressing me out radically more than I thought. So, since I had a small amount of money and I was getting a tremendous amount of interest in my resume even without doing a whole hell of a lot to look for a new job, I decided I was going to take some time and be very selective about what jobs I applied for and relax, get stuff done at home, etc.

It was working out great. I had a few really interesting and favorable interviews, but never got an offer which was all good as far as I was concerned. Then a good friend put me in touch with a good friend of theirs and a job happened. So now I'm self-employed working for my own LLC, which is contracted to a company, which is contracted to a company which is contracted to the feds. I work from home, mostly set my own hours and make enough to live on working 30 hours a week. It's like something from a legend.

One of the big projects I'll have with the new job (which started in March) will be moving the environment which is mostly LAMP over to AWS. Adding more monitoring, security, testing, and making everything more consistent, etc. So I'm back to doing what I have tons of experience in (unix/linux/lamp), and what I have more recent experience in (IT security/monitoring) and what I have only very recent experience in (DevOps). So while I'm learning DevOps better (salt/jenkins/git), while I'm learning even more about security, and continuing to learn more about LAMP and the other applications. Oh and python. So! That's awesome. It's an excellent job and even better the cultural fit seems to be exceptionally good.


No comments: