Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Contingency Planning.

A story:
Following the contingency plan was simple when the alarms went off. It was well written, concise and obvious. When I reached my assigned place I discovered the next stop was to read "Green Book Number 17". Green Book Number 17 was difficult to find at first because it was so small. Merely a thick paper cover and a single sheet of paper.

The single sheet of paper said only "Find box 17 on the lower shelf and follow instructions."

Box 17 was one of only a few boxes on the shelves and was about the size of a shoe box, only made of heavy metal locked with a combination lock. Likely the combination lock for the 6 digit number I'd been told to memorize last year.

The top of the box had a 3"x5" card on top that said "Open box while alone in locked room immediately." Simple enough, the room I was assigned for emergency use was just down the hall so I stepped in and locked the door. Everyone outside was going about their duties in an orderly fashion so no need for me to interfere.

Sure enough the number I had fit the box I had. Inside the box was quite a surprise, not what I'd expected at all. A box of syringes, a small mirror, a headlamp, a bottle of rubbing alcohol, a box of sterile wipes, a 9 mm hand gun and 4 boxes of shells. Also a sealed red envelope with INSTRUCTIONS printed on it.

Inside the envelope was a set of simple instructions I found hard to grasp. Simple to list, difficult to execute.

"If you are following instructions which have led to opening this box, the base will be completely sealed in less than 10 minutes. Follow these instructions as quickly as you can, time is against you.
1. Look in the mirror. If the whites of your eyes have any bright yellow coloring find your next in command and give them this box. If not follow the rest of these instructions.
2. Inoculate yourself immediately.
3. Find your next in command and check their eyes. If no yellow is visible inoculate them immediately. If their eyes are yellow at all, shoot them in the head.
4. Repeat these steps for every person in your section of the building.

If in 4 hours no others have developed symptoms use the intercom to begin trying to contact Central Command.

4 comments:

Tim Catellier said...

Did you write this? Is there more to this story? When will you publish it? It reads a bit like the beginning of a video game, but I like it. I want more!

Gam0ra said...

Thanks! I did write it, but I have no intention of publishing or writing more. Just an idea that occurred to me at work.

I don't write consistently enough to try to publish.

Tim Catellier said...

I would encourage you to continue the story. Even if it's published only here, and even if there is only one episode every 6 months. You already have one reader eager for more!

Gam0ra said...

The problem is I don't have any more of that story. I suppose I could try to make it up. Or turn it into "Shaolin vs. Zombie" the movie I want to make.