Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Solar financing

Well. I finally heard back from my mortgage guy. He got me better deals than I could get from anywhere else, but he still was short $9,000 of the minimum I needed to do the solar installation. So...until the housing market goes up again or I somehow drastically increase the equity I have in this house I'll have to wait to get solar installed. It's sad, but it was likely to happen.

In November there will be a vote in congress to continue the solar incentives. If that fails then it's likely I won't be getting solar installed for a very long time, but everybody seems to think that it's a shoe in. I'm just so used to be ridiculously disappointed by all politicians that I can't really bring myself to believe it'll continue.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything that I have been reading regarding the growth of "green" related businesses, I doubt that the federal incentive will go away. What would be better though, is for other states to adopt something like the California incentives. Then you would be all set to go.

Gam0ra said...

Colorados incentives are really good. Xcel would be paying about 60% of the cost of my installation. I believe that is about as good as they get.

Anonymous said...

That IS really good. Is Xcel a state run company? In California, there is an additional incentive that is state funded. Which I think is why most of the solar companies around right now are there.

Gam0ra said...

Xcel isn't a stat run company as far as I know, but the deal they have is through the state and sort of through the feds. Basically Xcel has been told that they have to provide X amount of their energy from renewable sources. They are given a chunk of money to do so. If I install solar and stay attached to their grid, I count as them generating energy from a renewable source. So they pay me to install the system, and I sell them my carbon offset rights and agree to stay attached to the grid for 20 years.